A tank trailer, also known as a tanker trailer, is a type of trailer that is designed to transport liquids, gases, and dry bulk materials in a tank-shaped container. Tank trailers are commonly used in the transportation industry to haul a wide variety of products, including chemicals, petroleum, milk, water, and industrial gases.
Tank Trailer Capacity
Tank trailers have various sizes and features, which determine their capacities. The following will introduce some common types of tank trailers and their capacities.
- Fuel tank trailer – It is used to transport gasoline, diesel, and other petroleum products. Fuel tank trailers most commonly have a capacity of 5,000 to 10,000 gallons, with a maximum capacity of usually 12,000 gallons.
- Chemical tank trailer – It is used to transport hazardous and non-hazardous chemicals. The capacity is smaller compared to the fuel tank trailer. It usually has a capacity of between 5,000 and 7,000, with a maximum of 10,000 gallons.
- Milk tank trailer – As its name suggests, the milk tank trailer is used for milk transportation. Because of the short shelf life of milk, most milk tank trailers have a capacity of between 6,000 and 8,000. This is just enough capacity to meet the needs of a town for one day.
- Dry bulk tank trailer – It is used to transport dry bulk materials such as cement, flour, and grain. They typically have a capacity of 1,000 to 1,600 cubic feet, although larger trailers with capacities of up to 3,000 cubic feet are also available.
- LPG tanker trailer – LPG tanker trailers are used to transport liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) and other compressed gases. Its smaller capacity is 3,000 gallons, and this size tank trailer is suitable for transporting LPG to homes. They typically have a capacity of 7,500 to 11,500 gallons.
It is important to note that the maximum capacity of a tanker trailer is regulated by federal and state regulations, and it varies depending on the type of cargo being transported and the design of the trailer. Tanker trailers must comply with these regulations to ensure their safe and legal operation on the road.
If you need to buy a tank trailer, please feel free to contact Three Horses Trailer, we will provide you with high-quality service and competitive prices.