The trucking industry has been an ever-evolving industry. Influenced by COVID-19, more and more people are choosing to shop online, which has indirectly contributed to the growth of the transportation industry. People are always looking for new ways to improve services and make transportation more efficient and cost-effective, as well as safer. Conestoga trailers are a good example of innovative solutions for the transportation industry.
What is Conestoga Trailer?
It is a trailer that can cover cargo in all directions and has retractable curtains. The Conestoga’s curtain retracts completely when the product needs to be loaded or unloaded sideways. Once loaded, the curtains can be unfolded again.
The Conestoga trailer has the following advantages.
- Efficient loading and unloading from the sides and top. Its tarp retraction system is like a spring inside a ballpoint pen, which can be retracted at will. During loading and unloading, people can use a forklift or crane to load, enhancing efficiency.
- Reduces the risk of cargo damage and prevents road debris from damaging the cargo. When driving on the highway, even a very small thing hitting the cargo may cause serious damage to the cargo. With the protection of curtains, it is possible to avoid the damage of debris.
- Protects the cargo from the weather. Many times, weather such as rain, wind, hail, and snow are unpredictable. Although ordinary tarpaulins can do this, they are nowhere near as reliable as Conestoga’s canvas.
It does not have only advantages, but also some disadvantages.
- Limited weight capacity. Because it has a sensitive tarp system and track, it is limited in the amount of weight it can hold.
- Limited dimensional capacity. No cargo can exceed the length and width of the canvas covering.
- Higher cost. Conestoga trailers are not common, can be produced by fewer manufacturers, and more expensive than lowboy trailers, step deck trailers.
Differences between Dry Van trailer and Conestoga trailer
A dry van trailer protects cargo from the elements such as random roads and rain and snow. It is a completely enclosed box with a hard shell designed to protect cargo and load from the back.
The fact that it can only be loaded from the back is also its biggest problem. People cannot use a crane to load and unload, nor can one load from the side.