In addition to being a means of transportation, dry van trailer has another important function: storage. The role of storage trailers is to provide much-needed extra space for warehouses and retail stores. Usually, the size of the storage trailer ranges from 28 feet to 53 feet, and because of its airtightness, it can provide us with convenient, waterproof storage space, it can store almost any of our items.
Storage trailers and storage containers
What are they?
As mentioned above, storage trailers are dry van trailers. They have the same appearance, but only have a little difference in function. It has rolling doors or swing doors and can load and unload the dock without obstacles. Usually, these trailers also have a pallet jack or forklift, which is used to facilitate the loading and unloading and placement of goods in the trailer.
The storage container is a container. The container was originally designed for shipping services, and now many people design it as a stack room to achieve the best storage purpose.
What are they pros and cons?
- The size is wider and the capacity is larger. Storage trailers are usually 8 feet 6 inches wide, which means that pallets can be easily placed inside.
- Easy to move. Because the storage trailer itself is a trailer and has its own wheels, it can be transported safely and stably.
- The maintenance cost is high. The maintenance of storage trailers involves tires, lights, etc., which is more time-consuming than storage containers.
- Low cost. Usually, the cost of a storage container is a quarter of that of a storage trailer.
- Easy access to goods. Because the storage container is located on the ground, the cargo can be loaded and unloaded directly without using tools such as ladders or ramps.
- Easy to maintain. Compared with a trailer, the storage container requires very little maintenance. You only need to check the roof to make sure that there is no water on the top, and oil the container door to prevent rust and not open.
- Inconvenient to move. If you want to move the storage container, you must use a skeleton trailer or a flatbed trailer, which cannot be moved anytime and anywhere.
- The capacity of a single storage container is small. The standard container size is 20ft and 40ft. Compared with the 53ft storage trailer, the capacity is very small.
How to choose?
If you don’t know whether you should choose a storage trailer or a storage container, please think about these questions first:
- Do my goods need to be moved frequently?
- Is the 53 ft storage trailer enough for me?
If your cargo needs to be moved frequently, then a storage trailer is the best choice. If there is no need to move, then the storage container is undoubtedly the best choice.
If you need a storage capacity greater than 40 ft and less than 53 ft, a storage trailer is a good choice. But if the capacity you need is too large for a 53 ft storage trailer, then leasing or purchasing multiple containers is your best choice. This will save you a lot of costs.